On December 12, 2022, the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) launched a new online application portal for tenants and landlords to submit RAFT applications and required documents.

If you need assistance submitting an application or required documents through this portal, please refer to the corresponding document that is linked below.

Information for Applicants

Effective August 1, 2022 the maximum benefit limit on the RAFT Program is $10,000 per household in a 12-month period.

For households applying to RAFT for assistance with rent arrears, a Notice to Quit or eviction notice/court summons is now required.

Information for Homeowners

At this time, the MA Emergency Housing payment Assistance Application is not accepting applications from homeowners.  Homeowners in need of mortgage assistance or other housing assistance may apply for the new Homeowner Assistance Fund (MA HAF) Program.  Please visit this link to learn more about HAF and to see if you may be eligible.  To apply to Mass HAF, visit www.massmortgagehelp.org.

Information for Landlords

Discrimination by a landlord is prohibited

Landlords should be aware that Chapter 151B of the Massachusetts General Laws prohibits discrimination by a landlord against any tenant receiving federal, state, or local housing subsidies, including rental assistance or rental supplements, because the individual is such a recipient.

A landlord’s refusal to accept emergency rental assistance, that covers the entire amount owed to the landlord, may, in some circumstances, constitute a violation of Chapter 151B. Landlords should consult their own legal counsel for advice before declining rental assistance that covers all outstanding rent arrears.

The RAFT application system requires both a tenant application and a landlord application for tenants who are requesting rental assistance. Landlords and property owners can (a) begin the RAFT application process for their tenants who may need to request financial assistance for overdue rent OR (b) complete the application once the tenant has submitted their application.

To begin the landlord/property owner application process, you must first register an account as a new user if you have not already done so here: User Registration (mass.gov)

***Your account must have info entered for the Payee, Properties, and Payment Methods sections on your profile before you can apply.

Once a landlord/property owner has an account, you can apply here: MA Emergency Housing Payment Assistance Portal (mass.gov) If your tenant has already completed their application at the time you are submitting the landlord application, be sure to include the Tenant Application Code that you received in your email. Note that the Tenant Application Code is different from their Case ID.

For more guidance on how to apply and create a landlord profile, please utilize this reference guide: Housing Assistance Application Reference Guide (mass.gov)

For a list of landlords’/property owners’ Frequently Asked Questions, visit: Landlord FAQs download (mass.gov)

For other resources, including recordings of webinars about Landlord/Property Owner RAFT Application Portal, visit: RAFT Public Resource and Training Portal | Mass.gov

Programs & Resources

erap, raft, and erma programs
Maria Helping

couple renting a house

Other Programs


Follow Us: